Datasets and applications available through the Microsoft Azure Marketplace can have both free and paid offers. This page describes how you can subscribe to and use these offers.
You can find paid offers by browsing the marketplace. Each dataset or application can have multiple offers, some that are free and some that are paid. These offers are shown in the upper-right corner of the offer detail page, highlighted in red below.
Free offers are those that show a price of “$0.00” whereas paid offers are those with a non-zero price. You will not be charged if you sign up for an offer with a price of “$0.00”.
Understanding Free Offers
Free offers allow you to access a dataset without the monthly cost of paid offers. In some cases, free offers have limitations on the number of transactions you can execute against the dataset each month called the transaction limit. This transaction limit is shown on the dataset detail page before you sign up and is shown on the My Data page once you have a subscription. The transaction balance on the My Data page is the number of transactions you have remaining of the total transaction limit for the current month of your subscription.
If you cancel your subscription to a free offer and sign up again within the same month, your previous transaction balance will be reinstated and you may not receive the full transaction limit for the first month of your new subscription.
Understanding Paid Offers
Marketplace offers are monthly subscriptions. When you purchase a subscription, you will be charged immediately for the first month. The monthly price you will be charged is the amount shown beside the offer on the dataset detail page (plus applicable tax). This monthly charge will recur every month on the same calendar date as your original purchase.
There are three types of subscriptions available through the Marketplace:
- Unlimited Dataset Subscriptions. You will be charged monthly for access to a dataset and you can use the dataset as much as you want during the term of your subscription, subject to reasonable limits. This includes using the Service Explorer, applications that allow you to import data from the Marketplace, and applications you build.
- Limited Dataset Subscriptions. You will be charged monthly for limited access to a dataset. Each month, you will have a pre-defined number of transactions you can execute against the dataset. If you reach this transaction limit in a month, you will no longer be able to execute more transactions. A transaction corresponds to one query in the Marketplace Service Explorer or one valid response from the Marketplace API.
- Application Subscriptions. You will be charged monthly for access to an application. There may be multiple subscription levels available for an application and each subscription level may have different restrictions associated with it. For example, subscription levels may provide access to different kinds of data from within the application, different numbers of users, or other benefits. For applications that include access to datasets from the Marketplace, you will only be able to access that data from within the application you purchased and not through other applications.
Note: Some applications may execute multiple transactions without explicit action on your part. If you use limited subscriptions with these applications, you will be charged for each transaction and you may reach the transaction limit for the subscription faster than you anticipate.
Purchasing Paid Offers
To purchase a paid offer, select the offer you wish to purchase on the offer detail page and click the “Purchase” button.
You will complete the following steps:
- Create an account. If you don'' already have a Marketplace account, you will register for one. When registering, you must select the country/region that matches your credit or debit card billing address. If VAT is collected in your country/region, you will be able to enter your VAT ID while registering. See the Taxes section for more details.
- Enter your payment information. The Marketplace supports credit and debit cards.
- Review your purchase. You will be able to review your purchase before it is final.
Tax may be collected on your purchase depending on the country/region of your account and other account information you may provide. If taxes are collected, this will be shown on the final screen before you complete your purchase.
If VAT is collected in your country/region, you can enter your VAT ID when registering your account or during the checkout process.
Some offers in the Marketplace may provide a trial option. A trial allows you to evaluate a dataset before your paid subscription begins.
Trials will be highlighted on the offer detail page with the duration of the trial, like "1 Month Free", "3 Months Free", etc. The checkout process for a free trial is the same as for a paid offer, except that your card will not be charged immediately. Instead, your card will be charged after the trial period ends, unless your subscription is cancelled or terminated before that time.
Trials for dataset subscriptions may place additional restrictions on the number of transactions you can use during the free trial period. You can always see how many transactions you have available during the trial period on the My Data page. See Viewing your Datasets for details.
Viewing your Dataset Subscriptions
Click on the “My Account” tab from the Marketplace site and then click on "My Datasets" in the left-hand navigation area. You will see all of your current dataset subscriptions.
For Limited Subscriptions, the Status column displays the number of transactions remaining for the current billing period and the Type column displays the total transaction limit for each billing period. Note: It may take up to 15 minutes for the transactions remaining to be updated after you execute a transaction.Your transaction balance will be reset to the transaction limit for the offer you purchased at the beginning of each billing period, which occurs on the same day of the month as the day when you first subscribed. For example, if you subscribed on September 13 then your subscription balance will be reset on October 13.
Viewing your Application Subscriptions
Click on the “My Account” tab from the Marketplace site and then click on "My Applications" in the left-hand navigation area. You will see all of your current application subscriptions.
Cancelling a Subscription
You can cancel your subscription from the My Datasets or My Applications page by clicking the “Cancel” link. You will be able to continue using your subscription until the end of the current billing period. Note: After you cancel a subscription it will still be displayed as “Active” on the My Datasets or My Applications page until the end of the current billing period.
Switching Offers for a Dataset Subscription
If you would like to switch between offers for the same dataset, you can change your subscription from the dataset detail page. Select the new subscription you want, and click "Change". If you change your subscription, your old subscription will be cancelled and you will not be able to use your remaining transaction balance. For paid subscriptions, you will not receive a refund for any unused portion of your old subscription.
Switching Offers for an Application Subscription
The Marketplace does not support switching between offers for application subscriptions. You can cancel your existing subscription and then resubscribe.
Viewing your Billing History
You can view your billing history by visiting https://billing.microsoft.com. You will be required to sign in with the same Windows Live ID you used for your Marketplace account. Note: You may have multiple billing accounts with Microsoft. If this is the case, a dropdown will be shown on the billing history page. Your Marketplace billing history will be shown on the account with the label “Microsoft Azure Marketplace DataMarket”.
Changing your Payment Method
To update your payment information, go to https://billing.microsoft.com and click on the payment method’s link under “Payment Type.” On the next page, click “Go to payment method information” and then click “Edit payment method information.”